I am sure many of you have heard friends or family members who have said “Sorry, I can’t eat that, I am keto now” or “I am trying the ketogenic diet,” but what exactly does this mean?
The ketogenic diet is a high fat diet that often mimics fasting. Glycolysis is a metabolic pathway that allows glucose to provide most of the energy to the body. In contrast, ketosis is a metabolic state where most of the energy in the body comes from ketone bodies in the blood.
How exactly does one get ketone bodies in the blood? This process usually occurs once you are able to shift your metabolism from relying on glucose (sugar) for fuel, to relying on fat-based sources as your primary source for fuel. When your body relies on fat-based sources for fuel, you increase fat oxidation and break down fats into ketones which are then used as the primary source of energy. With ketone supplementation, ketosis can be induced even if the levels of blood glucose are high. Depending on your current carbohydrate intake, the process of training your body to burn fat for fuel can take two weeks to six months.
The reasons to consider ketosis or supplemental ketones are exhaustive, but that does not mean it is for everyone. Currently, research supports the use of ketones for the following:
- Weight and fat loss
- Increase satiety, and decreased food cravings
- Improved energy levels, oxygen capacity, motor performance & athletic performance
- Blood sugar balance and enhanced insulin sensitivity
- Enhanced blood flow through vasodilation
- Migraine treatment
- Neuroprotective benefits in seizure disorders; ADHD; Alzheimer ’s disease, memory and cognitive function; Parkinson’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis
- Autism and improved behavior and social impacts
- Mood stabilization in bipolar disorder (type II)
- Stroke prevention; cardiovascular disease; metabolic syndrome management; improved cholesterol levels
- Inflammation management
- Endurance enhancement
Interested in learning more about ketone supplementation? Check out dramna.pruvitnow.com
Not sure if ketone supplementation is right for you? Come on in for a nutrition consultation to learn more!
Old Bridge, NJ
300 Perrine Road, Suite 305
Old Bridge, NJ 08857
|Monday – Thursday||8:30 – 8:00|
|Friday||8:30 – 7:00|
|Saturday||8:30 – 1:00|