Whether it’s moving, bending, or twisting, your back, and spine see a lot of action all day, every day. That’s why back pain is more than a nuisance — it can lead to crippling pain that interferes with your life at home and work. Back pain is one of the leading causes of lost workdays each year and can impact your overall physical and emotional wellbeing.
Numerous delicate and intricate structures make up your spine. The spinal cord, individual vertebrae, and discs that absorb shock and provide cushion, plus, muscles, nerves, ligaments, and tendons — any one of these components can be impacted by injury or illness and require prompt treatment.
The spinal specialists at NJ Spine and Wellness are here for you. We work with you to find the best course of treatment to relieve your back pain and treat your spinal condition. Whether your back pain was brought on by injury, aging, or an underlying illness, our team will create an individualized plan, so you can regain mobility and peace of mind.
Treating Back Pain
At NJ Spine and Wellness, we take your back pain seriously. We understand how frustrating it is to have pain and discomfort without understanding its underlying cause. That’s why we take the time to come up with a proper diagnosis, so we can provide the best spinal treatment for your individual condition.
As part of our thorough diagnostic consultation, you can expect the following:
- Medical history review, including all back complaints, spinal injuries, and related illnesses that may have contributed to your back pain
- Physical exam to thoroughly evaluate your back and spine
- Possible nerve function test to see if underlying nerve problems are causing your back pain
- Possible further imaging tests, so we can evaluate the spinal structures
Conservative Spinal Treatment
When it comes to spinal treatments, surgery is usually considered a last resort. There are many conservative spinal procedures available that provide effective relief for back pain. At NJ Spine and Wellness, we’ll work with you to find a conservative treatment option that will cause minimal disruption to your life while also providing the best chance of relieving your painful symptoms.
Some conservative spinal treatment plans include:
- Rest and immobilization: Sometimes, all your back needs is a little rest. Easing off strenuous activities can give your spine a chance to heal naturally. We may also recommend a back brace to decrease the risk of re-injury.
- Medication: Prescription NSAIDs can help reduce inflammation and relieve back pain. For severe cases, we may prescribe narcotic medications or muscle relaxants for a short amount of time.
- Physical therapy: Specialized exercises and muscle-releasing techniques can strengthen your back muscles and support soft tissues, alleviating pain. Click here to learn more about Spinal Decompression.
- Therapeutic injections: These help reduce inflammation around the spinal nerve roots and numb problematic areas causing pain. Click here to learn more about Radiofrequency Ablations.
- Traction: Using pulleys and weights, we can carefully stretch your back to help relieve pain and potentially allow a herniated disc to move back into position
Spinal Surgery at NJ Spine and Wellness
In rare cases, we may recommend a surgical procedure to alleviate your back pain. For those who have a herniated disc causing persistent pain, nerve compression, and muscle weakness, this may be your best option. For others, surgery may repair extensive spinal damage caused by an injury or medical condition.
Examples of surgical procedures include:
- Disc replacement
- Spinal fusion