Shoulder pain may be caused by the bones, ligaments, muscles and tendons at the joint. It may also be transferred from surrounding muscles and ligaments. If the pain is coming from your shoulder joint, you may notice the pain worsens when you move your arm.
What’s Causing Your Shoulder Pain?
Shoulder pain may be caused by any of the following:
- Bone fractures in the upper arm or collar
- Instability in the shoulder joint
- Tendonitis from overuse
- Strains caused by overexertion
- Nerves pinched or compressed by vertebrae
- Dead bone tissue caused by restricted blood flow
- Inflamed joints
- Shoulder dislocation
- Frozen shoulder
Other causes of shoulder pain include:
- Torn cartilage
- Ruptured tendon
- Septic arthritis
Treating Shoulder Pain
Your doctor will conduct a physical examination of your shoulder and the surrounding areas. You may also be required to move your arm and shoulder to reveal if there are problems with your range of motion. If necessary after the physical exam, your doctor may recommend imaging tests such as X-ray, CT scan or MRI to ensure there are no hidden underlying causes of pain.
After examination, your doctor will create a treatment plan that includes any or more of the following:
- Physical therapy: Your Physical Therapist can help you practice range-of-motion exercises to improve mobility and strengthen the muscles around the shoulder.
- Steroid injections: Your doctor may inject corticosteroids into your joint to reduce pain and enhance mobility.
- Distension: Injecting sterile water into your shoulder can lubricate and stretch the tissues, allowing you to move your shoulder with ease.
- Manipulation: Your doctor will move your shoulder in different directions to loosen it.
- Acupuncture: This involves the insertion of very fine needles into your skin at certain points in your body. The needles stay in place for 20 to 40 minutes. While they are in the body, they may be moved around or manipulated. Acupuncture is painless, but it helps stimulate certain nerves around the shoulder and relieve pain.
Book an Appointment to Treat Your Shoulder Pain Today
To get long lasting relief from shoulder pain, get in touch with our patient advocates at NJ Spine and Wellness today! Our team will develop a personalized treatment plan that deals with the underlying cause of your pain and that also suits your lifestyle. We will help you recover faster and return to your normal activities. Give us a call at 877-333-6579.